Monday, September 20, 2010

Steve Chong



This is another simple set up that uses basic camera functions and household objects to achieve a subtly surreal photograph. Perhaps the most intriguing part of the image is the way the selective focus plays with the liquids in the glass. With out this the shot would be just another slow water drop. In the description, the Chong describes how he used corn syrup for its sticky consistency. He also notes that he got up at 3am to have the set ready for the first rays of the sun to enter the window and offer the lighting he wanted. This type of still life is one that I worked with thought out most of high school. Simple set ups and selective focus were my style.  I can not claim that I ever achieved anything this beautiful, but it certainly is reminiscent of some of my early work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment